Serves 6 muffins
Total time: 40min
These blueberry friands are great, a bit like muffins but more solid and stocky.
- 100g/4oz unsalted butter, plus extra for greasing
- 125g/4 ½oz icing sugar, plus extra for dusting
- 25g/1oz plain flour
- 85g/3oz ground almonds
- 3 egg whites
- Grated zest 1 unwaxed lemon
- 85g/3oz blueberries
1. Heat oven to 200C/fan 180C/gas 6
2. Generously butter six non-stick friand or muffin tins.
To make the cakes:
1. Melt the butter & set aside to cool.
2. Sift the icing sugar & flour into a bowl. Add the almonds & mix everything between your fingers to combine & remove lumps..
3. Whisk the egg whites in another bowl until they form a light, floppy foam. Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients, tip in the egg whites and lemon zest, then lightly stir in the butter to form a soft batter.
4. Divide the batter between the tins. Sprinkle a handful of blueberries over each cake and bake for 15-20min or until just firm to the touch and golden brown. Cool in the tins for 5 min, then turn out and cool on a wire rack.
5. To serve, dust lightly with icing sugar.