Serves 10 people.
Total Cooking Time: 1 hour
Here is a yummy recipe for Spanish Paella that I put together:
Fish & Meat
– 250 g of mixed seafood (squid, mussels, prawns, etc)
– 200 g of king prawns in the shell
– 1.2L of fish or shellfish stock (should taste rich and salty), to be kept hot during steps 1-2
– 80 g of chopped green beans
– 10-15 snow peas (mangetout)
– 1/2 chopped onion
– 1/2 chopped capsicum
– 1 chopped tomato – 80g of butter beans (boiled & canned)
– 300g of Pudding Rice (Paella rice ok too but must be SHORT grain)
– 1 teaspoon of turmeric
– 1/2 teaspoon of sweet paprika
– 1 clove of garlic, chopped and crushed
– 1/8 tube of tomato paste
– 1 pinch of saffron
– lots of olive oil
– 1 sliced lemon
– 1 non-stick wide pan with a lid
(non-stick: very important or the rice WILL burn)
– wooden spoon
Step 1) Fry the veg separately
Fry capsicum, onion, green beans and garlic in the paella pan with abundant oil over a low fire for 5-10 min or until soft.
Step 2) Fry the rice and garlic
Add some more oil and fry the rice (yes the rice) with the fire on high setting, stir constantly until the rice changes color from translucent to white.
Step 3) Add the stock and veg
Add the stock to the frying rice (if hot enough it will reach boiling point very suddenly, this is good) keep adding until it covers a finger or so over the rice. Add the fried vegetables, chopped tomatoes, tomato paste, paprika, saffron, turmeric. Stir it in. Taste the broth, it should taste a little bit salty, add more salt if needed (dont worry the rice will absorb most of the flavour). If too salty add boiling water to compensate.
Step 4) Turn it down.
Turn down the fire to the lowest setting and wait to die down a bit. Put the lid on and cook for 10-15 minutes. Add more stock and stir occasionally if the rice gets too dry (add boiling water if there’s no stock left but not ideal).
Step 5) Add the seafood
Put the king prawns and snowpeas aside to decorate with. Add the rest of seafood and stir in again one last time. Leave it to cook on low fire until rice is almost done. Place the snowpeas/prawns on top looking pretty and turn off the fire. There rice should be bubbling but only with a little bit of liquid at this point. Leave for another 5 minutes to finish cooking with its own heat. Add the lemon slices and serve.